Above the centre of Kolding stands the castle of Koldinghus.

It was on this site in 1268 that the Danish King built a fortress for the purpose of guarding the border between the Kingdom of Denmark and the Duchy of Schleswig. The earliest parts still standing date from the 15th century.

Excellent temporary exhibitions, and impressive silver collections of faience ware and war memorabilia.